Job Posting: Chemical Technician – Mississauga
Siltech Corporation, a privately held silicone manufacturer, is looking to hire immediately a full time, permanent Chemical Technician in for their technical group located in Mississauga, Ontario.
This opportunity offers a full Benefits and Pension package.
Reporting to the Senior Chemist the successful candidate will:
Be responsible for the preparation of both laboratory and pilot scale batches of new and existing products offered by Siltech.
Main Duties will include, but are Not limited to:
- Operation of pilot reactors to help transition new products from lab scale to commercial production in a plant based setting.
- Follow SOP’s to prepare lab scale batches of products for customer evaluations.
- Under the direction of the Senior Chemist, help develop new routes to synthesize new developmental products.
- Perform full chemical analysis on prepared products using wet chemical analysis (titrations, pH, viscosities, acid values etc.)
- Operation of instrumentation to further analyze prepared products (IR, GPC, GC and HPLC)
- Assist manufacturing with re-working off spec products
- Document, validate and interpret data obtained from analysis.
- Assist in evaluating new or existing raw materials.
- Prepare technical reports on completed experiments and accurately summarize and present findings.
- Compile data and suggest pathways forward or reasons results were obtained.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment
- BSc or college diploma specializing in chemistry or chemical technology is required with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a chemical manufacturing plant being preferred.
- Knowledge of silicone chemistry is an asset.
- Is comfortable working in a plant environment and around a pilot production plant.
- Excellent attention to detail with a strong ability to document subtle changes in chemical processes.
- Has experience in the lab scale synthesis of organic or inorganic compounds, resins, surfactants.
- Has experience in wet chemical testing (titrations, pH, viscosities, and acid values) and is familiar with IR, GPC and GC analysis.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Computer literate and comfortable working with Microsoft word, PowerPoint, excel.
- Understanding of manufacturing process.
- Is able to comfortably lift up to 20 kg as required.
Essential Work Experience (Number of years in related work experience):
- 5 years working in a chemical environment is an asset.